Guy Mintus, piano
Israeli pianist, composer, vocalist and educator Guy Mintus is equally at home whether he’s sharing the stage with jazz legends, composes for classical orchestras, collaborates with masters of traditional music, working with kids or guesting as a soloist with Ska-Punk band Streetlight Manifesto with whom he performed at a sold out Beacon Theater. Coming from a mixed heritage of Iraqi, Moroccan & Polish Jews, his music is a meeting point between different rivers of inspiration flowing freely into each other. A trained concert pianist with the energy of a rock-star and a jazz musician’s sense of adventure who’s unafraid to throw into the mix his native middle-eastern scales and rhythms.
Guy’s awards include the “Leonard Bernstein Award” by ASCAP and the Bernstein Family Foundation and the Prix du Public at the Montreux Jazz Festival’s solo piano competition. His debut record, “A Home in Between” has been selected as DownBeat Magazine’s Editor’s Pick while his most recent release, “Connecting the Dots”, has been celebrated in concerts throughout the US, Canada, France, Switzerland, Germany, Israel, Turkey and Kazakhstan including a New York CD release concert that has been recommended by the New York Times.
Guy has been commissioned to compose works by the American Composers Orchestra, the Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra and the Jerusalem East & West Orchestra. In 2018, he performed Rhapsody in Blue with the Bavarian Philharmonic, composed music for Miracle of Miracles, the new documentary about Fiddler on the Roof, by HBO director Max Lewkowicz and premiered his first piano concerto with the Israel Chamber Orchestra. Guy is an endorsed artist by Yamaha Pianos.
- Recipient of the Leonard Bernstein Award
- Endorsed Yamaha Artist
- Prix du Public Montreux Jazz Festival’s solo piano competition
- A New York Times recommended CD release concert at National Sawdust
- DownBeat Magazine’s Editor’s Pick
- Recipient of the Herb Alpert Young Jazz Composer’s Award
- Composer for the film Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles
- Headliner at the Montreal Jazz Festival, WinterJazz Fest, Paris Jazz Festival among others.
- Soloist/ composer with the Bavarian Philharmonic, Israel Chamber Orchestra, Kyiv Fantastic Orchestra, American Composer’s Orchestra, Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra, Jerusalem East & West Orchestra and Symphonette Ra’anana.
- Taught clinics in Spain, Switzerland, Brazil, Germany, Israel and the US including institutions such as Cincinnati University, UCLA, Royal Conservatory Madrid and the University of Toledo.
- Recipient full scholarships to the Manhattan School of Music, Berkeley College of Music & the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music.